Thursday, July 10, 2008

The latest news

Everywhere I go lately, I see billboards telling me I need to listen to a particular radio station because news doesn't wait until I log on apparently, nor does it wait - according to the radio people, until I buy a newspaper. Which is odd because if it did wait until I logged on or bought a newspaper presumably there would be nothing to read since it had only just happened as soon as I did something.
Imagine if there was no news until you turned the TV on or got online?
Live reporters would just have to be standing around hoping for something. Then someone would flick their remote and simultaneously there would be an earthquake somewhere.
So if everyone stopped watching or reading the news in this scenario would nothing happen? That would ruin it for the radio station.
News always seems to prefer the bad news stories so maybe only good things would happen. But there would always be some people, that couldn't stand it and need to have a quick check of the news ...and there would be your heavy snowfall stranding holidaymakers. Some would probably get addicted to the power of newsmaking and check all the time.
Anyway the news does wait. When I read it or watch it - it is news to me.

No comments:

5 Favourite Sights Seen

  • 1996 Watching tropical lightning turn night to day, outside a little wooden church in a small village in Sabah.
  • 2004 Flying down the Rainbow Valley at 8000ft in a cessna on a clear blue day.
  • 2003 Seeing and hearing Michael Schmacher rolling out of the pit garage in his Ferrari in Hungary.
  • 2009 Chancing upon 100 or more dolphins just off the Kaikoura Coast swimming around, jumping out of the water, doing somersaults and generally having fun.
  • 2006 Finding a pool at the bottom of a waterfall in the bush at Kaikoura that was full of playing baby seals.