Friday, July 5, 2013
Sticking Your Neck Out vs Hiding Under the Couch
One of these is to have a number of different writing projects in progress at one time. This year I am striving to finish two of the larger ones.
This past summer helping out in the family motels sometimes when I was in a unit alone, the quietness of the double glazing and the position back from the road, made me look at the table longingly to sit and write.
The idea revealed itself as a one liner on the bottom of a piece of paper. A writers' retreat. It is not to be a large, scary group of brash know-it- alls, outlining their recent publication successes. It is for people with great stories they started but because of life and confidence the projects have dropped further down the priority list than intended.
My friend Louise spotted my note and encouraged me to run with it. Together we hashed out ideas and put together a programme.
I contacted a local writer that had caught my attention, Becky Siame. We met over coffee and cake and her ideas, practical suggestions and enthusiasm for encouraging people to write their stories was energising. I was excited about this event.
I put the word out and now it is only a little over a month away on August 16-18th. I am terrified. I want it to be a success. I hope those that come get a lot of writing done as well as being inspired by hearing Becky and just what can be achieved these days by new authors.
I have been at this point in organising a new event before with our cooking classes. It is scary to put something out into the world and have to wait to see if people are keen to come. Many times I just want to hide under the couch and wish I had never thought of the idea. But there is no going back now, no matter what happens, it is going ahead.
Time for some deep breaths and holding of nerves...oh and if you do know of anyone who would be keen, do let them know. I would really appreciate it and I hope when they come, they will too.
5 Favourite Sights Seen
- 1996 Watching tropical lightning turn night to day, outside a little wooden church in a small village in Sabah.
- 2004 Flying down the Rainbow Valley at 8000ft in a cessna on a clear blue day.
- 2003 Seeing and hearing Michael Schmacher rolling out of the pit garage in his Ferrari in Hungary.
- 2009 Chancing upon 100 or more dolphins just off the Kaikoura Coast swimming around, jumping out of the water, doing somersaults and generally having fun.
- 2006 Finding a pool at the bottom of a waterfall in the bush at Kaikoura that was full of playing baby seals.