South StreetOldest fully restored street in NZ
Everyone here seems to be able quote these claims - and frequently do.
When I have found a new one that I think is fairly obscure and unlikely to be widely known, I tell it to a local. "Oh yes," they say. "That's right."
So here is my current list of Nelson claims:
- World's Largest, Natural, Boulder Bank
- The Oldest, Wooden Theatre in Use in the Southern Hemisphere - the Theatre Royal
- Largest Fishing Port in the Southern Hemisphere
- Largest Camping Ground in the Southern Hemisphere - Tahunanui Motor Camp
- The Longest, Urban Beach in New Zealand - Tahunanui Beach
- The Largest, Purpose Built Modellers Pond in New Zealand
- The Oldest, Fully Restored Street in New Zealand - South Street
- The Oldest Secondary School in New Zealand - Nelson College
- Oldest Pub still Operating out of its Original Building in New Zealand - The Moutere Inn
- Home to the First Rugby Game in New Zealand
- Only Place in the World you can pay to control a Stunt Plane
Longest Urban Beach in NZ
Oldest Wooden Theatre in use in NZ
Further additions - Thanks Spanky
- Largest MDF Plant in the Southern Hemisphere
- Oldest Church in the South Island - St. John's Wakefield
And my personal favourite:
- The Oldest Public Letterbox still in Daily Use in New Zealand
Any others just let me know.