The kids are up at 7 am, quite excited about looking after themselves.
First up is breakfast - not just toast and cereal, but bacon and eggs is planned. First problem - the bacon is frozen in the freezer.
But nothing stops them, they defrost it in a sink of cold water and peel off some pieces for Tristan to cook in the frypan.
Lucy cooks the eggs and even manages the yolks to be just as she likes them.
They are very proud of themselves and offer to make us bacon and eggs for breakfast too.
Lucy also wants to label their bacon in the fridge in case we eat it.
There are a few arguments but they sort them out between themselves.
We are here like UN Observers at an election. We do offer the odd piece of advice that they could either take or choose to ignore. The first one is to make sure they cooked their food properly - we aren't keen on adding food poisoning to the three day experiment.
The washing is done and while a few hours go by, it is eventually hung out on the line.
A big argument arises over the hanging of the washing. Tristan comes to see us, to win us to his side but we tell him they have to sort it out. After some full volume yelling they work out their differences and the job is done. Enterprising Tristan, tries to get some biscuits from Grandma but she just laughs.
Lunch is a Tristan special - spaghetti from the tin.
Quite a bit of DVD watching is going on and many games are being played on the computer.
Lucy is spending the afternoon making shortbread for their supper. She decides to make half a batch. They are balls of shortbread because that is how she decided to cook it. She also decides to mix some butter and sugar - because "it is so yummy." I think that is afternoon tea.
This afternoon Lucy is contemplating whether to get the washing in or start the dinner but her mince is still frozen from getting it out of the freezer late in the day. She leaves the washing. When I ask her later, how she defrosted the mince - she says she used the microwave.
She comments, "Parents are very busy."
I have enjoyed the extra free time this afternoon to finish other jobs.
5 Favourite Sights Seen
- 1996 Watching tropical lightning turn night to day, outside a little wooden church in a small village in Sabah.
- 2004 Flying down the Rainbow Valley at 8000ft in a cessna on a clear blue day.
- 2003 Seeing and hearing Michael Schmacher rolling out of the pit garage in his Ferrari in Hungary.
- 2009 Chancing upon 100 or more dolphins just off the Kaikoura Coast swimming around, jumping out of the water, doing somersaults and generally having fun.
- 2006 Finding a pool at the bottom of a waterfall in the bush at Kaikoura that was full of playing baby seals.