Sunday, June 16, 2013

Writing The Future

Proof read and critique as you wish because this is a record of my attempt to be successful with my own writing projects. These projects are different from my paid freelance work but they are not all fiction. Sharing your own creativity is scary as I worry about if it is good enough or if I have anything worthy to say.
I have joined the New Zealand Authors' Society this year through my freelance published work. The most useful aspects so far are the weekly emails from the local and national branch that let me know about competitions and opportunities for my writing. These are great motivators to keep writing. The monthly branch meetings are also thoroughly worthwhile. Hearing the speakers talk about their writing journeys and their work has had many valuable lessons and provided much to think about. The other exciting aspect of these meetings is talking to other writers and hearing about their projects. I also like finding out how others go about fitting writing into their busy lives.
At the moment I am entering as many writing competitions as I can. The deadlines keep me writing and the competitive aspect makes me continue trying to improve my stories. So far I have had no luck but I keep in mind the words of New Zealand writer, Coral Atkinson who likened winning writing competitions to needles and locating them in dried grass.
I will keep trying alongside my other projects because almost every New Zealand writer profile I have read includes winning writing competitions which lead on to future success.
I have also set myself a deadline for two other of my writing projects of the end of the year. Both of these are non-fiction. One requires quite a lot of interviewing so making myself a deadline helps with ringing and getting those interview appointments booked in.

No comments:

5 Favourite Sights Seen

  • 1996 Watching tropical lightning turn night to day, outside a little wooden church in a small village in Sabah.
  • 2004 Flying down the Rainbow Valley at 8000ft in a cessna on a clear blue day.
  • 2003 Seeing and hearing Michael Schmacher rolling out of the pit garage in his Ferrari in Hungary.
  • 2009 Chancing upon 100 or more dolphins just off the Kaikoura Coast swimming around, jumping out of the water, doing somersaults and generally having fun.
  • 2006 Finding a pool at the bottom of a waterfall in the bush at Kaikoura that was full of playing baby seals.